14 Dos and Don’ts of Content Creation
In this fast paced digital world we operate in, nothing is cast in stone. Therefore, it is important for content creators to have their hands on the pulse of things, to avoid being caught on the wrong side of the law or not being able to achieve their goals. Knowing what I now know about content creation, I have compiled the Dos and Don’ts below, to help you through out your journey:
- Create content that solves problems. Knowing your audience’s pain points will help you find the right pols/memes/ quotes that will speak to them. The solution to your customer’s problem should always make them feel like the hero. You should always be their trusted source of knowledge and solutions. If you’ve got that right, you won’t need to worry about your customers leaving you for the next brand on the market.
- Create engaging and purpose driven content that drives interest. Your purpose should direct your content choices. Make sure each and every post fits your purpose and helps you reach your goals. Conversations with your audience create a great bond and make them feel listened to and cared for. Stories are great with generating intrigue and interest in your content, use them. Furthermore, saving your popular content as a highlight will allow your potential customers to know a lot about your Brand in a short time.
- Create content that is relevant and valuable to your target audience. Give more information and even share a relevant link that will relieve your customer’s anxiety and solve their problems. Ask them questions that will give you insight on what they would really want to hear. Create content that make them feel great about themselves.
- Use the right tools and apps to enhance your content. In this time of digital empowerment you can not afford to be seen as someone that produces undercut content. Move with times, use the current tools that allows you to show your flair and creativity. Create fresh content that sets you apart from your peers/ competition.
- Use dynamic content that makes you stand out. Videos are the common trend and they are very good at keeping your audience engaged. Visuals are good at capturing your viewers attention and encourage them to stay tuned to your message. If you keep producing good and unique content, they will keep coming back for more. All you need to do is play around with your content, change it around, use memes, short videos and pictures that thoroughly explain your message even if you take away the wording.
- Create content that aligns with your audience. Ignored messages are pointless. If you create content for your audience, your growth is inevitable. However always remember that you don’t need a lot of people to be aware of you, you just need the right people. If your audience feel like you are creating content that speaks to their needs and addresses their feelings they will become advocates and promoters of your work. This is good for you because most of the time people buy into products/ services because they have read and heard good testimonials about them.
- Create a content schedule and stick with it. A good content schedule needs to show what kind of content will you be creating, what content type will you be using in each post and how often will you publish it. This will help with consistency, you will know exactly when to post and your audience will always know what to anticipate. This will then enhance loyalty, as you will be their go to content creator for particular topics.
- Research and use relevant hashtags. Researching other businesses/pages in your industry and the hash tags they use will give you insight on what content you should be creating. When you conduct your research, take lessons and craft your own messages. DO NOT copy and paste other people’s strategies. Your strategy should always speak to your own messaging, goals and audience.
- Don’t focus all your energy on attracting every body. You must be laser focused on who you want. Identify who best suites your targeting audience and who would help you attain your goals. Once you have found your ideal audience go out of your way to make them choose you everyday.
- Don’t copy/steal content. Being known as that person that stole content is not a good look, do NOT do it. This destroys reputations and careers. This is a golden rule in every industry, never use what’s not your in such a way that you make people believe it is yours. However, there is nothing wrong with using other people’s content as long as you ask for permission and reference/credit them.
- Don’t create content without an specific purpose. Only meaningful messages make an impact. Your goal is to use content to find your perfect people and solve their problems. Create content that sells benefits, make it worth your audience’s time and effort.
- Don’t make it all about you. It should never be about you but your target audience. Before creating and posting content always ask yourself: Does this post help my goal and does it address my target audience’s pain points?
- Don’t put customer experience at the back of your strategy. If anything your customer should shape how you develop your content. Customers should always lead your strategy, always!
- Don’t over think it. If it feels right, go for it. In these digital times every second counts, you need to be fast and swift in your approach. Half the time self doubt is the only thing that always delays your reaction time. Rise above it. #justcreate